Thursday, May 28, 2009

Untitled

Ok, so I've had a feeling that Saige had an ear infection and yesterday the undeniable truth hit me like a ton of bricks. Julie is my shopping buddy. Julie loves to shop and can shop til she drops much like me. Saige on the other hand is so NOT a shopper. My husband LOVES it because it keeps my spending in check..lol. I on the other hand could cry a river over it. Anyway, yesterday Saige and I were shopping and she was GOOD. Actually, not just good but for lack of a better word she was dang near ANGELIC. So NOT Saige behavior on a shopping trip. I managed to get all of my shopping done and then some. I was so giddy over how good she was that I broke the cardinal rule of shopping and let feet the floor. Yes, I took her out of the stroller and let her have at it. Even then she was GOOD. I KNEW something was up. I took her to the pediatrician today and low and behold she had an ear infection AGAIN. Same ear as usual and this makes an ear infection every single month since we've had her. The antibiotics keep getting stronger and stronger. We know that the antibiotic works but she gets the infection right back for whatever the reason. In the back of my mind I KNEW she had one. The signs were all there. I guess I was just hoping and praying that it would just go away on it's own. The words from the ENT still echo in my mind..."hopefully the weather change will keep those ear infections away but we can't allow her to continue getting infections throughout the spring/summer. If she gets any more we will have to seriously start talking about tubes". UGHHHHHHHHHHHH. Tomorrow I have to make that call to the ENT informing him that she's had another one. I know what he's going to say. I just dread it.

3 comments:

The Baxter Family said...

Poor Saige. I didn't realize she'd had them so continually. She probably thinks it's normal for her ear to hurt. Did the Dr. schedule her for tubes?

Carl and Stephanie said...

Hi Teresa,
That's my fear too. She doesn't run a fever either so it's hard to tell when she has one. With this last ear infection I was able to ask her where her owies were and she would stick her finger in that ear. Since it was the ear with the infection I'm certain she understood me. We don't have a schedule yet. I go on the 8th to make sure the infection is cleared up and to have a consultation about it. I know he gave her another chance hoping that the weather change would make a difference but it didn't. My feeling is that the reason she keeps getting them is due to the fact that she has excessive ear wax. It ends up blocking the canal making it a breeding ground for infection. I don't know if ear tubes will make a difference in that situation but that is one of my questions for him. I really wish I had a medical history on her but unfortunately we don't. I wonder if she's had this going on even in VN. If so it would make the decision much easier. I'll keep you posted because I know this is an ongoing problem with little Caroline too.

The Baxter Family said...

You're right; it would be so much easier if we had some type of medical history to work with. That ear wax sounds pretty bad; is that common with Asian children? I've heard about it from other AP's, too, and Caroline has a bit of a build-up in the ear that was just infected. I'm amazed at how much pain babies can tolerate before it becomes obvious to us. Caroline's follow-up ENT visit isn't until June 22. Please let me know what the doctor says about Saige.